Thursday, May 8, 2008

Content is King

It took years (the 80s... the 90s... Okay, okay, decades elapsed) for most marketers to figure out that this flat thing you are looking at right now, the 2D web, needed real content before it would have any value. Some of you will recall how - when they finally got around to it - corporations slapped their brochures and their contact information up on a pretty little website and thought they'd done their day's work. They've since come around. I just Googled the phrase "content is King" and got 717,000 returns. Hehe.

Pretty much anyone who reads this blog already knows that the 2D web has become scarily democratized and that, with a wee bit of know-how, any fool can create a platform in minutes and have a voice. To be heard and to develop a following is another matter. You've simply got to provide fresh and meaningful content. As much of it as possible.

This is my first blog, ever, and it's been fun watching it grow and easy to come up with blogposts thanks to the never-ending always-amazing quantity of content-rich stories arising from the creators of Second Life®.

I've been so busy with the Garden of NPIRL Delights the past ten days, however, that I haven't been able to do more than publish posts prepared by my fellow NPIRLers KK Jewell and Douglas Story and Desdemona Enfield. Even with their contributions, nary a word has gone up here since Monday.

The thought of looking at this blog's traffic stats for the past few days made me cringe, so I chose not to.

I finally got around to it a few minutes ago, and what I saw amazed me. How is it possible? Readership is up. Not by a lot. But enough to bend my mind.

The only explanation I can come up with is that these are new readers who landed here through web searches that pointed them to older blogposts. How cool is that?

Turns out that even a blog can be forgiving.

0 comments: