Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tuna's trippy textures

"trippin'! It's when everything is the most important thing in the world"

Bostonian Tuna Oddfellow (rez: 8/15/2005) is a magician in Real Life, and a really pleasant fellow, too. Known as "Fish the Magish," he has performed at all manner of events for the past 30 years, and is the recipient of the "Best of Boston" award by the Society of American Magicians.

In Second Life, his biggest claim to fame is that he was the winner of last June's $3,750 US prize (then $1 million Lindens) for his participation in NBC’s "America’s Got Talent" in-world contest.


Tuna Oddfellow, working a screenfull of HUDs.

Shava Nerad, his Real Life fiance and Second Life wife - their February 9th wedding was featured in last week's online edition of Businessweek - handles his bookings and public relations in both worlds. She also works as a consultant and does avatar makeovers.


Shava's butterfly outfit was a knockout, especially in the setting.

So, why am I telling you all this? The textures, man. Tuna's textures. A couple of days ago Impossible IRL'er Truthseeker Young TP'ed me to a location in the sky that took forever to rez, but when it did, the only word I could utter was "whoa!"

I was inside a hypercube that was pulsing with the most insanely beautiful - and busy - textures, and in the company of many friendly but extra exotic and strange avatars. It was Tuna who was responsible for this.

magic touch event planners 2
A harlequin'ed megaprim, spooling out some wicked effects.

Tuna Oddfellow: I really feel like we're doing something native to Second Life and groundbreaking, just with immersion... and I like playing with the art, and widgets!

Bettina Tizzy: In what way do you think it is ground breaking?

Tuna Oddfellow: The megaprims are loaded into a wearable Hypercube. I layer them, I use transparency and partial transparency and glow to produce layered effects. I basically torture the prims! ;) It's like a fully surrounding kaleidoscope.

tuna oddfellow

Tuna Oddfellow: Shava turned to me one day when I was playing with stuff, and she said, "OMG, we've got something here, this is giving me vertigo." And that was last year sometime, maybe fall. Since then we've been working to make the show more and more *effecting*.

Thanks for the tp, Truthseeker!
Thanks for that TP, Truthseeker!

Tuna Oddfellow: People come and they forget they are in a chair behind a computer. They forget the boundaries. We destroy the "fourth wall" of the computer screen and pull people into the reality. To me this is what virtual reality is supposed to be like, right? Not a chat client with graphics, but something that makes you *feel* different. People don't just get dizzy, they get happy. They feel stoned. They are exhilarated.



Bettina Tizzy: The textures are gorgeous. Are they very high resolution?

Tuna Oddfellow: I love fractals. And I love playing with the GIMP to mashup images. They are generally between 512 and 1024, and then seamlessly tiled.

Bettina Tizzy: So you are wearing this hypercube?

Tuna Oddfellow: When I'm on my own land, yes, like last night, I leave the cube on the floor, as it were. But when people hire me to do a show at a sim, I can either set it up there, or it's all set up to be wearable. Like a one-man band! My screen is completely covered by HUDs.

The funky music was streamed from a radio station in Louisiana.
Tuna Oddfellow's show

Tuna does a weekly party on Monday nights from 7pm to 9pm SLT on his own land (teleport directly from here.) Occasionally he'll do a Saturday event for the European time-zone-challenged crowd. You can check out his upcoming gigs here.

Tuna Oddfellow's hypercube - B&W

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've caught one of Tuna's shows before and look forward to the europe friendly one. I believe it's different every time too! Trippy stuff, well worth a look!

Tuna Oddfellow said...

Thank you Trytofaa,

I will be doing a special Euro-friendly time slot this Sunday at 11am. I hope to see you there.

Tuna

Unknown said...

This sounds really interesting to me. Discussing with my friends too.