Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Museum of the Globe - 2D gets 3D

Last year, Hidenori Watanave, a Japanese architect in Real Life with an active Second Life®, sat on a jury for something called the Digital Design Competition 2007, and the Grand Prix winner - with a 2D submission - was Museum of the Globe, by Atelier Ten Architects, a Japanese metaverse developer and web services company, not to be confused with the prestigious global environmental design firm Atelier Ten .



In June, TeaCup, the Japanese free blogging service division of the publicly traded Internet services and web hosting company GMO, provided technical assistance in collaboration with Atelier Ten to take the 2D design and realize it in 3D. The actual construction was realized by Ichiro Furse of Atelier Ten Architects.





Hideroni will be presenting this at the International Electronic Langauge Festival FILE 2008 in Sao Paulo, and at SIGGRAPH2008 in Los Angeles, in August.

I asked Hyperformalist DanCoyote Antonelli (aka DC Spensley) for his opinion of the sim-wide installation.

DanCoyote Antonelli: This is pure Hyperformalism. It is messy in a unique way, but it keeps its overall shape well. It is in between my cubic and cylindrical arrays and Seifert Surface's spore. It is not dirty enough data for me in total, but I think it is a wonderous thing, in some ways related to the shatter sphere.


Seifert Surface's "Spore" - photo by Bjorlyn Loon

How do you mean "dirty enough?"
Dancoyote Antonelli: I mean the data is perturbed in a way attributable to the artist's hand. There is such a thing to me as "too far removed from the work..." - too distant, and the piece slips out of my range of interest and becomes a photograph of some data and not art. Some imperfection must make it a human work I think. I love the little trees below, too. They reflect well in the water.

Teleport directly from here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very odd that nobody mentioned Selavy Oh in relation to this. I actually thought this was one of hers when I stumbled upon it.

Bettina Tizzy said...

That's why we have comments!

Selavy Oh's signature is that she takes cube prims and makes them physical *and* she makes them tumble down and/or bump into visiting avatars.

These prims do not budge.

I was discussing the Museum of the Globe yesterday with Seifert Surface and he explained to me that the choice of prim shape for a build like this is critical because it has fewer polygons. Otherwise, at 14k+ prims, this sculpture would kill a graphics card.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Damn, I posted a load of links but they are too long to show up here so I deleted them :(

comet said...

May 2nd-12th 2010, they Atelier Ten Architects have the Museum Globe Revival.
it's still auto-rezzing on May 2nd today, that you see how each cube unit is positioning onto the shape.
I hope you not to miss this 10 days short revival exhibition.

I translated their Japanese information into English, here; http://art.slmame.com/e880481.html

アトリエテンによる日本語情報は、こちら。
Atelier Ten's Japanese information;
http://kaze.slmame.com/e880485.html

and, now I'm translating this your article into Japanese.

2010年5月2日より10日間、アトリエテンが、この博物球のリバイバルを公開しています。
そろそろ自動レズが終わるところです。各展示ユニットキューブが、どのようにマユ形の表面に定位置するか、レズ中ならリアルタイムに見られます。

こちら、NPiRL当記事も、和訳しているところです。