Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Zonja gives water a work-out for her videos, and she teaches us how

A few days ago, my good friend Sennaspirit Coronet expressed amazement when he learned that I was not familiar with Zonja Capalini's sparkling Flickr stream. While her super spirited and effervescent videos may be Possible IRL (PIRL), she is ultra generous with her tips on how to accomplish all the effects, as can be seen here and here (dynamic water preset) and here.


Music: Torley: Too Many Cliches

The combination of inexpensive video capturing apps, such as FRAPS, and the new super-gliding 3D mouse - Spacenavigator - have made film making accessible even to me, so now I'm all caught up in learning more.

I'm using Windows Movie Maker to edit, but really need to step that up (I can't even edit audio with that!). I see that Zonja is using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, but am still investigating which apps give the biggest bang for the buck and are easiest to use.

6 comments:

Truthseeker Young said...

OK I'm sorry, but words just can't describe how disturbing I find that video... teh effect of the avatar-mask on the real dancer...Talk about the Uncanny Valley...oy

/me hopes those eyes don't follow him into sleep

Zonja Capalini said...

@Bettina: Thank you! :-) I just wanted to point out that the water preset is by Oracolo Janus, who deserved all the credit for it.

@truthseeker: Real dancer? Wow, many thanks, I'm always seeking for realism in my pics and vids! :-) Seriously: there's no real dancer, only avatars.

Bettina Tizzy said...

Zonja, thank *you* for providing us with such a constant stream of useful information. I am very grateful to you. Your work is impressive. Thanks, too, for the clarification. We need all the presets we can get, and Oracolo's is totally awesome.

@Truthseeker... I'll get you in world... your Uncanny Valley comment is going to haunt *me* now!

Truthseeker Young said...

@Zonja: HOLY SH@#$!?%@#$!!! Really???? that was just avs??

/me rushes to go watch again but is REALLY scared now...

Truthseeker Young said...

Yeah, just...WOW.

It's the black & white segments that are so convincing. the combination of lighting & choice of anim works tremedously to cast doubt upon what it is we're actually watching here.

lol I'm sure your intention with this vid wasn't to be all deep & disturbing, but it's tremendously powerful nonetheless. Bravo, Zonja!

(and my apologies for post-hogging)

Bettina Tizzy said...

Truthseeker, yer just scared 'cause you know I'ma gonna get ya... muahahahaha...